Life too short for long YouTube videos? Please see the ‘Interesting bits and go-to sections’ information below.
Welcome to Dan & Mick’s Pick’n’Mix, where we grab a handful of things that are new to us and give ’em a whirl to see what cool sounds we can dial in.
No, this is not our new place – we are deep in heart of Thomann Gear University, a gathering of like-minded gear nuts from across our little planet that took place in May 2018. We had a wonderful time and met some great new friends - thanks to everyone at www.thomann.de for putting it on!
• First, sorry we didn’t spend longer on the Pyramids – we ran out of time! You can see more here: http://www.geartube.net/video/AQiK2tSlTZ4
• Second, sorry the pedal cam isn’t better. It was a fast turnaround time with limited options, so we did what we could.
• Third, sorry about the clipping audio in places. We tended to play a little louder than the other TGU18 attendees and we caught the engineers a little off guard from time to time…. Nevertheless we thank them MASSIVELY for their help and diligence in what was an extremely hot and fast-moving environment with a whole slew of people in and out. They did a great job and we thank them deeply!
The audio itself. You’re hearing two guitar amps as the main mix (the Morgan and the Laney each through 112 cabs) plus each of those amps through a Universal Audio Ox (right) and a Two-Notes Torpedo Reload (left). The physical, mic’d 1x12 cabs are about 85 per cent of the mix. The Ox and the Reload are doing something approaching what our room mics usually do (sorta, kinda) to add a bit of spread. And yes, those are the ones that are clipping. See above.
Interesting bits and go-to sections…
- Intro playing, background and context: 00:00
- Today’s pedals: 2:20
- Mad Professor Twimble: 3:05 (7:03)
- Today’s amps: 5:00
- Mad Professor Predriver with Strat: 9:02
- Simble overdrive side… and then both sides together: 10:00
- Stone Deaf Syncopy Delay: 15:30 (16:05)
- Presets? 17:00
- Oh, the mix control …and the other controls 20:05
- And how do we like it Dan? 22:50
- Here’s Henning… and the Pyramids: 24:00
- EarthQuaker Pyramids: 26:00 (26:57)
- The last minute! 30:45