Life too short for long YouTube videos? Please see the ‘Interesting bits and go-to sections’ information below.
Are you buzzing, hissing or humming? Well, enough about Saturday night/Sunday morning and on to this week’s show. Groan.
Regular viewers will know that Dan and I are not big fans of noise gates and suppressors… for reasons on which we expand in this episode. However there does come a point where it can be appropriate to use one, so we discuss the causes of noise, potential remedies and solutions before exploring when and where you might wish to bring in some technological, pedal-shaped help.
Do we run through all the commonly available noise gates and suppressors on the market? No. And we never will, but we do offer some food for thought if you //think// you might need one.
Interesting bits and go-to sections…
- Intro playing: 0:00
- What are we doing today? 0:54
- The bigger question: 1:20
- Today’s amps: 2:02
- Amptweaker Tight Metal Pro and the Strymon Big Sky – noisy! 5:35
- Death to the daisy chain! 6:45
- Clean power is the MOST important thing: 8:50
- Goodbye daisy chain, hello isolated power: 9:47
- When gain adds noise: 12:30
- Pickups, hum and strategies for coping: 16:35
- Humbuckers. Bucking hum: 22:25
- The problem of high gain and noise: 29:25
- But I want loads of gain! 31:35
- Time for a gate or suppressor. But only now: 33:50
- Gate or suppressor? 34:25
- TC Electronic Sentry: 37:50
- Tight Metal Pro noise gate: 45:27
- Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor: 47:58
- What about other loop effects? 53:20
- Why not just forget about all that other stuff except the noise gate? 56:30
- General conclusions and observations, long-winded windbags that we are! 58:20
- The stank face and Mick’s power supply story: 59:05
Guitars in this episode:
• Fender Custom Shop 1952 Telecaster - watch Dan’s video at http://bit.ly/2Hlpy5Y
• Gibson Memphis 1958 ES-335 - no video yet
• Collings 290 DCS - watch Mick’s video at http://bit.ly/2dDG96k
Amps in this episode
• Victory V30 The Countess MkII with V212-VH (1 x Celestion Vintage 30, 1 x Celestion G12H Anniversary)
• Marshall 1987x with 1960AX cabinet with 4 x 12-inch Celestion G12M Greenback speakers
We hope you enjoy this episode. Please subscribe to our channel.