Buried deep under this gear obsession is a love of actual music. Can Mick reignite it by bringing this song demo to fruition?
Welcome to the show! In this episode I decide to demo up a song I wrote a while back. Starting with the drums, the track builds up with bass, some electric and acoustic guitar parts and finally vocals.
Now this can be a super simple process… or it can be incredibly labour intensive. And guess which route I tend to take?!
Oh dear, no matter. However you approach it, the hope is that by engaging your mind and soul into something creative, your life will be enriched with peace and balance. Erm, or you get terribly stressed and want to give up forever.
All this and more is explored in the video – please enjoy it!
Pedals & stuff in this episode (signal order info below)…
NOTE: THE TOM MORELLO STORY – THE PRODUCER WAS BRENDAN O’BRIEN NOT RICK RUBIN!
Interesting bits and go-to sections…
- Woof! Intro: 00:00
- In a slump?: 00:42
- The song: 03:20
- Join me in meditation: 05:25
- Getting going with drums: 05:50
- Guide vocal?: 08:32
- Monday morning, let’s go!: 10:08
- Bass parts: 11:30
- Acoustic guitar, mic & channel strip: 13:44
- …and a capo part: 15:25
- Listening back to the acoustic tones : 16:20
- And the actual acoustic parts: 19:50
- Electric guitars and pedalboard: 22:10
- Compressor or Tube Screamer?: 24:10
- Recorded Collings electric: 25:25
- Argghhh, slide!: 27:06
- Vocals!: 30:05
- Warming up the voice: 31:28
- Oh no, he’s singing!: 32:56
- Backing vocals: 34:41
- Post-recording thoughts: 37:44
- Thanks to Joey!: 39:42
- Working alone vs working together: 40:50
- Performance or tone?:43:38
- Tom Morello story (it was Brendan O’Brien, not Rubin): 44:26
- The track, finally (nope, no visuals): 43:23