As the EP comes together, I'm getting to grips with recording guitars direct using impulse responses.
Welcome to the vlog: Dan here. Finally I'm getting to record some guitars! But before you get too excited, remember that I'm trying to do everything at home, so turning up amps and mic'ing them is a definite no-no. So today I'm dipping my strangely attractive big toe into the deep and murky waters of IRs (impulse responses). With some help from Rabea Massaad we get the guitar tracks to a point where we're ready to mix them.
WARNING - Loads of gratuitous gear shots
Enjoy the episode!
Interesting bits and go-to sections…
- Hello and intro: 0:00
- Why am I doing this? 0:14
- What is an IR? 0:44
- How does a load box work? Torpedo Reload: 1:04
- Using an IR: 1:22
- Rabea's IR Top Tips: 2:35
- It's not the same as a cab in a room: 4:00
- Finding good IRs: 4:54
- Dan's EP recording board build: 6:05
- Pedalboard guest loops: 6:30
- Not as easy as it looks, and it doesn't look easy: 9:08
- Getting my first sound: 9:58
- Does it sound like my cab? 11:30
- Slappin' da bass! 11:50
- Recording the main riff: 12:00
- Adding harmonised guitars: 12:25
- Using reverb at the front of the signal chain: 12:56
- A quick snippet of how it all sounds: 13:40
- Final thoughts: 14:25
We hope you enjoy this episode. Please subscribe to our channel.