We try out the new cabinets in Universal Audio’s OX firmware update (November 2019), crank our 1973 Hiwatt DR103 and catch up with our old friend Tore Mogensen, formerly of TC Electronic
Life too short for long YouTube videos? Please see the ‘Interesting bits and go-to sections’ information below.
Welcome! Regular viewers will know that Dan and I are deeply smitten with Universal Audio’s range of audio interfaces and plug-ins for recording: truly fantastic stuff that has powered TPS for around two years now. UA is also behind the much loved OX Box, a reactive load attenuator and speaker/cab/mic simulation software application for your valve amp. Dan and I went to Real World Studios to make some actual music with it when it came out. Check it out: https://youtu.be/g5Ly5O2MjfY
And we made two tracks: Mick – https://youtu.be/HepnOBCsRs0 and Dan – https://youtu.be/rBLUJzYg-U8
Late in 2019 UA announced a firmware update for OX, adding some much requested Celestion Vintage 30 cabinets and a couple of other cool things. Even better, our old chum Tore Mogensen (formerly of TC Electronic) has finished his first year as a product manager at UA, so took the opportunity to drop in and walk us through it.
In the OX bits for the main bulk of the show, you’re hearing the OX direct output only. No actual mics or speakers. At the end of the show when we crank the Hiwatt, that’s the actual mic’d cabinet in the room.
Interesting bits and go-to sections…
- Intro playing: 0:00
- Welcome Tore!: 00:59
- Remind me, what is the OX?: 02:58
- So what’s new from OX?: 03:39
- The Hiwatt makes a triumphant return!: 04:10
- Lets start with V30s and a Mesa-style cab: 06:37
- What modelled mics are being used?: 08:30
- A summary of what OX is modelling: 12:20
- V30s in a Marshall style cab: 13:29
- ABing the two V30-loaded cabs: 15:58
- Tore discusses trying your amp out with different cabs: 17:25
- On to a 4x12 with 30-watt greenbacks: 18:13
- To clean land and a JBL-loaded 2x12: 22:30
- And another… with a lovely back story: 27:40
- A look at some of the effects built into OX: 31:50
- WE UNLEASH THE HIWATT: 41:01