Life too short for long YouTube videos? Please see the ‘Interesting bits and go-to sections’ information below.
Mick says: “Dan made my first proper, grown-up’s, flightcased G2 board back in March 2017 – you can watch that video here: https://youtu.be/-wpAnCeHPQs
“That board has served me exceptionally well, but it’s time for an upgrade! I recently acquired a Schmidt Array SA525 pedalboard – lighter and better dimensions for what I need – so what better excuse to have a switch-up?
“This video documents the various stages of the first build. If you want to see more on the specifics of making cables and connecting power, please check out some of other pedalboard build videos, including the one linked above.
“As always, pedals will come in and out so this isn’t set in stone, but the awesome thing about board like this when you have the power and audio in place is that it’s a super simple job to switch things out.”
Signal Path: The pedals run in the order they appear in the loops of G2.
Wet/dry? Loop 6 on G2 is connected to a Humdinger by TheGigRig. That goes to the dry amp (in this case the Victory V40 Deluxe). That means everything before Loop 6 goes to both amps.
Everything after Loop 6 (DC-2, delays, tremolo and Mini Vent II) goes to the wet amp only (the Two-Rock). Why don’t I use the volume insert for the dry amp send? You need to have post gain turned on in order to do that, and I’m super sensitive to the sound of extra buffers.
Interesting bits and go-to sections…
- Intro: 0:00
- What are we doing today? 2:00
- Cases and boards? 2:45
- The build begins: 3:48
- The old board is stripped off: 5:27
- Layout idea #1: 6:15
- Power: 8:00
- …and power problems: 9:00
- Cabling: 10:00
- The moment of truth: 11:17
- Power problem solved: 11:45
- And we’re in the game! 13:30
- Best way to use G2? 14:15
- Presets? 14:50
- Black Hole Sun again? 16:00
- Gain stages, starting with the Warthog 17:30
- Wet dry: 20:35
- D&M Drive: Mick side: 22:25
- Klon or D&M Drive? 23:03
- D&M Drive both sides: 26:05
- Warthog & Klon: 27:45
- Analog Man Sun Face BC183: 28:14
- Fulltone Octafuzz: 29:10
- Why the different gain stages? 31:30
- Why don’t you just use multi-FX: 32:30
- Collings 290 DC S: 34:45
- Reverb in the amps? 35:30
- Modulation – Mini Vent II: 37:20
- Supro (harmonic) Trem: 39:10
- Boss DC-2w Dimension C: 40:45
- All three mods together? 47:50
- Delay: Analogman ARDX-20 & Free The Tone Flight Time: 49:30
- Analogman Amazeo: 56:00