Life too short for long YouTube videos? Please see the ‘Interesting bits and go-to sections’ information below.
Well this was a turn up for the books. Blinking once again into the dawn light of our own ignorance, Dan and I are awakened to the immense talents of Mr John Smith. We have Simon to thank – he and John are friends – for this most auspicious and fortuitous happening.
John’s unique blend of British folk and Americana hits the sweetest of spots on our radar. A fingerstyle master, slide supremo, accomplished songwriter and utterly compelling vocalist, we feel privileged to welcome him to Schwangri-La where we get to hang out, talk guitars, build a board and get treated to our own performance of three songs. It’s a day we’ll never forget… at least until the next time he comes back, which he surely must!
Yes, we know the show was about two hours shorter than it should have been. Children needed to be collected, flights caught and all that life stuff. The important thing was that we got the board built for his tour. He WILL be back!
I’d just like to add – Mick here – all those tracks were first takes, straight out of the gate. Colour us impressed, deeply moved and forever inspired!
Interesting bits and go-to sections…
- Intro playing and intro: 0:00
- John plays Joanna: 2:00
- Rewind to earlier… goofing about with John’s guitars: 5:45
- John’s Fylde Alexander and a bit of DADGAD: 11:40
- John plays Winter: 15:26
- Pedalboard build of sorts: 18:55
- John’s signal chain: 19:35
- John plays some of Hares On The Mountain: 22:30
- New board layout: 23:30
- Back to the show and more board explanation: 26:05
- Folk meets Americana? 30:00
- John plays us out… 33:00
- And plays all of Hares On The Mountain – phew! 33:15