Make sure you listen in HD with a great pair of headphones or studio monitors.
To my ears and fingers, the Wathen Cryotone outperforms the other 6V6 tubes- The overdrive is creamy and plush, the eq is balanced, but you can hear every note of a chord with absolute clarity, and the way it compresses is wonderful- it's very touch responsive tube that is FUN to play.
The equipment I used helps to draw out the characteristics of the power tubes. The idea was to not create any distortion in the chain expect for in the power tubes. I feel like this demo did a good job of that. To see my signal chain, look to the bottom of this description.
• Fender Telecaster Highway One (low output pickups will not drive the preamp as hard)
• Mogami 30 ft cable (crisp sounding cable)
• Morgan Amps MV45 (all controls set at 6.5, except gain, which is at 2.5)
• Morgan Amps 112 Cab (Celestion Creamback does breakup only slightly)
• Shure SM7B (Sweeter sounding mic than an SM57)
• Universal Audio Apollo Duo
• Various UA plugs
Session and Live Guitarist/Songwriter/Producer/Career Mentor