Life too short for long YouTube videos? Please see the ‘Interesting bits and go-to sections’ information below.
In this episode we take a look at the principle modulation effects (well, most of ‘em) offering up some tips and advice on how you might use them.
So often the people will run, screaming toward us, arms aloft fair pleading, “Pray ’elp me, Dan and Mick, for I desire to use wobbly effects but every time I do it sounds like blancmange in me lug’oles. How may I remedy this cursed affliction?”
And we propose, “Fear not ye auditorially anxious. For we possess the learnings to cure your cacophonous complexion with these 11 Great Ways To Use Modulation. Heed ye these teachings and carry forth the sonic delights within to whomsoever shall grant ye audience. Go forth and modulate!”
Interesting bits and go-to sections…
- Intro playing - now that’s a lot of modulation! 00:00
- What are we doing today? 2:25
- Today’s amps: 4:28
- 1 Use Tremolo As A Rhythmic Effect
…waveform shape in the trem: 8:20
…how the tap works: 10:00
- 2 The Best Chorus Is A Flanger: 11:37 (12:33)
- 3 Emulate An Organ With A Rotary Speaker: 17:50
- 4 Achieve Hugeness With Vibrato: 22:13 (23:55)
…and make it wet/dry: 25:18
- 5 Thicken But Don’t Sicken With Dimension: 27:55
…and wet/dry: 31:15
- 6 Add A Thickening Texture With Phaser: 34:07
…phaser or flanger?
- 7 Create A Mood Shift With A Change Of Speed: 40:55
- 8 Make Tremolo More Interesting - Go Harmonic! 45:50 (46:30)
- 9 FLAAAANGE! 49:53
- 10 Make Your Delay More Interesting With Modulation: 55:37
- 11 Go full Jimi Trower: 1:03:18