We demonstrate 10 ways to use reverb effects pedals for electric guitar to inspire new sounds and creativity in your playing.
Life too short for long YouTube videos? Please see the ‘Interesting bits and go-to sections’ information below.
Reverb: pretty much the oldest effect in the book. It’s the sound of space, packed into a handy-sized box that can take your guitar from flat and direct, to colossal and cavernous!
There was a time, not so long ago, that reverb for guitarists was that mysterious knob on your amp that you simply set to ‘not too much’. The last decade however has seen a veritable tidal wave of reverb pedals, offering us ever new ways to wash our tones clean… or dirty.
Most of us are still confused.
So join us as we run through 10 ideas designed to get you vibing on verb.
Interesting bits and go-to sections…
Intro playing: 0:00
So what is reverb?: 1:43
1. The Always On Reverb: 3:23 (5:06)
…blues a la Albert King: 7:29
2. Understanding The Tone Of The Repeats: 9:00 (9:24)
… tone up and tone down: 10:14
…clean chords: 11:30
3. Try Reverb Before Overdrive: 14:21
4. Use Long Regeneration For Swells & Pads: 17:20 (18:20)
Reverb types? 20:20
More springs with the Crazy Tube Circuits White Whale: 20:40
Digital reverbs and the TC Electronic Hall Of Fame 2: 22:50
5. Use More Than One Reverb Pedal: 22:45
Halls and plates? 25:15
What are digital reverbs good at?: 27:02
6. Dan’s Stereo Pedal Hack: 28:20
7. Try Two Reverbs In Parallel: 31:10 (32:00)
8. Try Kill Dry With A Harmonised Or Reflected Reverb: 36:25 (37:05)
9. Turn It Off!: 39:45 (41:02)
10. Go Stereo!: 42:55
Guitars in this episode:
• 1965 Fender Telecaster - no video yet
• Fender Custom Shop 1963 Telecaster - Dan’s video at http://bit.ly/2dlZJ6K
• Fender Classic Series Jazzmaster Lacquer - no video yet
• Gibson Memphis 1958 ES-335 - Mick’s video at http://bit.ly/2mpJA8X
• 1961 Fender Stratocaster - no video yet
• Fender American Vintage ’62 Stratocaster – Mick’s video at http://bit.ly/2cQv3yT
Amps in this episode
• Matchless HC-30 with Hughes & Kettner Vintage 212 / Celestion G12M Greenback speakers
• Mesa Boogie LoneStar Classic / Mesa Celestion C-90 speakers
We hope you enjoy this episode. Please subscribe to our channel.