Mick has a buffer problem on his pedalboard. It’s not before his fuzz, but after. Let’s see if we can solve it…
Life too short for long YouTube videos? Please see the ‘Interesting bits and go-to sections’ information below.
Welcome friends. The subject of buffers ranks among the most interminably tiresome of all. And yet the tonal differences to be discovered in this darkened corner of the tone galaxy are as chasmic as they are confounding.
Hmm. Well this one is an actual, real-life problemmette for me (Mick here). As we discover, I simply adore the Dan Drive Secret Machine fuzz, darling. But it is songstrel of the flightiest nature and requires some consistent bufferage to keep its sweet voice in check. In other words, the pedals you put after it make a massive difference to the sound.
“But why?” we hear you cry.
If you’re hoping for some sort of concrete answer, unfortunately it swims with the fishes. Thusly and as this video proves, you’re going to need to dive in and brave the waters. Buffer ye, or buffer ye not: that is your question. Allow us to at least partially illuminate the way…
Enjoy the episode!
Pedals & stuff in this episode…
• Dan Drive Secret Machine
Contact Dan directly - email@example.com
Interesting bits and go-to sections…
- Intro playing: 00:00
- What are we doing today? 01:58
- Today’s signal chain: 03:28
- The main problem is this: 04:50
- What about a different fuzz?: 11:45
- Is it the echo? LIGHTBULB!: 16:18
- Move the buffer down the chain? 19:45
- This buffer or that buffer?: 26:28
- Overdrive – D&M, Klon: 31:00
- Echorec buffer further forwards?: 35:00
- 29 Pedals Euna…: 38:58
- …vs shortest cable possible: 45:26
- Load & cap is part of the tone: 48:30
- Er, humbuckers?: 49:15
- Conclusions: where should my buffer go?: 51:20
Guitars in this episode:
• 1965 Fender Telecaster - no video yet
• Fender American Vintage ’62 Stratocaster – Mick’s video at http://bit.ly/2cQv3yT
• Gibson Custom True Historic ’57 Les Paul Goldtop, Murphy Aged
Amps in this episode
• Two Rock Classic Reverb Signature with Two-Rock 212 cabinet / TR 1265B speakers
We hope you enjoy this episode. Please subscribe to our channel.