Life too short for long YouTube videos? Please see the ‘Interesting bits and go-to sections’ information below.
Today’s show was one of those once-in-a-lifetime lightbulb moments. Especially for me (Mick here). Dan had long been telling me about ‘Power Boost’ pedals... but having never sat down and plugged one in properly, I was none the wiser. A total blank spot of guitar history. We would do a show. One day.
It wasn’t until Dan did an eight-hour round-trip drive to pick up an original 1972 Hiwatt Custom 100 DR103 and a bunch of Colorsound Power Boost-inspired pedals – including an original – that the penny was able to drop. And boy did it drop, for him as much as me.
These are genuinely some of the most inspiring, most moving, most thoroughly rock’n’roll sounds we’ve ever mustered from these four walls.
Massive thanks to Chris at www.custompedalboards.co.uk for the loan of the pedals and of course the unbelievable Hiwatt. The morning after filming, we hit Reverb.com and bought one. Life seems unthinkable without one at this point.
Thanks also to our good friend Jacques Butler for the loan of the Royer 121.
Please enjoy the episode…
Pedals in this episode…
None of our OD/boost/fuzz pedals today are available from our exclusive preferred retailers, so we’ve included URLs to the relevant companies.
Interesting bits and go-to sections…
- Intro playing: 0:00
- We finally have a Hiwatt on the show: 1:20
- The original Colorsound Power Boost: 2:55
- Amp and Power Boost: 4:56
- Why no 4x12 cab? 5:50
- Four inputs and the clean tone: 7:50
- And with a bit of drive from the Power Boost: 11:00
- The original PowerBoost: 14:02 (17:02)
- A quick Silver Sky clean moment: 15:03
- Power Boost at minimum: 17:02
- Today’s other pedals: 23:35
- Woah, that’s volume! 25:01
- Tru-Fi Color Driver: 26:56
- ProAnalog Devices Power Driver V2: 29:29
- And some humbuckers? 32:45 (33:04)
- Vintage FX Colordrive: 34:00
- The thing that’s great about normal overdrives… 35:35
- Electric Orange Bananaboost: 37:56
- Bananaboost and Color Drive comparison: 40:15
- ThroBak Overdrive Boost: 41:30
- With Analogman Sun Face BC-183 Fuzz
- Never heard so much dynamic off the guitar volume pot: 51:06
- What about a different amp? Victory V40 Deluxe: 54:45 (57:55)
- The age-old volume problem: 1:02:30