Life too short for long YouTube videos? See the ‘Interesting bits and go-to sections’ timings below.
We get asked lots of questions about delay pedals and how to use them creatively, so in this video we show you 10 cool things you can do with… yep… delay pedals.
It’s important to note that not all delay pedals will do all of these things. For example, Thing 5 – Changing The Sound Of Repeats –requires a pedal that has the ability to do that. Many modern multifunction / programmable delays from the likes of Strymon, Boss and so on have these features, as of course do the examples we use in the video. If nothing else, it might serve as a guide to what you might actually need or not need when choosing a new delay pedal because heaven knows that are so many on the market!
We do not cover stereo delays in this video - it’s a much less common application for most people and requires a deeper dive at some point.
Anyhoo, enough yakkin’ from me Mick here – let’s get on with the show. Enjoy…
Interesting bits and go-to sections…
- Intro playing: 0:00
- What are we doing today? 1:35
- Today’s amps: 2:15
- JC40 Chorus and Kingsley Page Tbe Boost V2: 3:20
- 1 – Understand Time & Why It Matters: 4:20
Quarter notes and eigth notes: 5:46
- 2: Try Doted Eighths: 8:20 (10:05)
- 3: Short Delays Are Cool: 12:20
How many milliseconds? 15:20
Super short delays for solos: 16:15 (17:25)
- 4: Try More Than One Delay: 20:40
Creating patterns: 23:30
- 4.5: Oooh, and swells: 25:50
- 5: Change The Sound Of The Repeats: 27:00
Filtering the delay EQ: 29:15
And dirty up the repeats: 32:45
- 6: Modulate Baby! 34:37
With short delays as well: 37:18
- 7: Faux Harmony With Long Delays: 39:17
- 8: Try Wet/Dry: Long: 42:00
& Short: 45:10
- 9: False Octave Trick: 46:00
- 10: Oscillate Baby! 49:30
No, we don’t get into stereo - maybe that’s for another day.