For full details, spec and stockists, please visit www.victoryamps.com
In this video, Martin Kidd (chief designer at Victory) and Rabea Massaad (Dorje, Toska) take a trip through the RK50's sounds and features. It was the first time Rabea had plugged into the RK50, and we wanted to capture his initial reactions, with input (and awesome playing) from Martin too.
This is a long video with plenty of discussion and playing, so here are some timings to help you skip to the bits that interest you most…
- Intro playing: 0:00
- Background and how the RK50 came to be: 1:25
- What is the RK50? 2:20
- Bea’s first impressions – clean: 3:00
- The RK50’s gain range: 4:16 - 8:20
- Footswitchable boost function: 8:20
- A single tone pot for EQ: 12:00
- Speaker Damping switch: 13:20
- Is the Speaker Damping function similar to the Bass Focus switch in VX The Kraken? 15:20
- Reverb comparison – digital in the head, spring in the combo: 17:20
- Tremolo: 23:00
- What does Richie think? 25:10
- Is it based on V40 The Duchess? 26:33
The amps are mic'd with Sennheiser e906 on the cabs, plus two AKGC414s in the room for ambience.
The guitars are a Fender Custom Shop ’55 Stratocaster, Fender Highway 1 Texas Telecaster, PRS DGT and PRS Paul's Guitar.
There are no pedals used in this video. We're just straight into the amps with the amps' own reverb and tremolo effects.