In this video we discuss synth sounds for guitar… but not in the MIDI-pickup-to-trigger-samples sense. Nope, here we’re talking about waveforms, oscillators, filters, modulation, manipulation and all that. The pedal everybody is talking about (in 2019) is the Meris Enzo, and for good measure we add the new SY-1 from Boss – the first Compact sized pedal to offer synthesis with no MIDI pickup required. Plus some others.
Join us as we stumble through some sounds, ask and answer questions and hopefully trigger some creative ideas and possibilities for your own music journey. This is guitar, Jim, but maybe not as you know it.
Enjoy the episode!
Interesting bits and go to sections
- Intro playing – we’re not in Kansas anymore Micko: 0:00
- Welcome… and what are we doing today? 2:50
- I don’t know anything about synthesis: 3:24
- No, not MIDI-triggered-samples synthesis… 3:55
- …but let’s talk about GK pickups anyway: 5:45
- You don’t need a MIDI pickup: 7:25
- What’s on today’s board? And ocelots: 7:55
- Digitech Synth Wah sounds: 10:23
- Polly Phonic was a friend of mine:12:05
- Crazy frequency range: 13:31
- Tracking and bending : 16:05
- Beetronics Swarm: 18:30 (19:15)
- And with the Analog Mn Envelope Filter: 24:55
- What’s the blimmin’ point? 26:50
- Meris Enzo: 28:30 (29:10)
- Ring modulator: 32:05
- Secondary functions on the Enzo: 38:00
- Synth on bass? 41:05 (41:55)
- Boss: SY-1: 44:30 (45:18)
- Using an remote footswitch with the SY-1: 46:55
- Bass switch on the SY-1: 50:15
- And Swarm: 51:30
- And all on? Oh no: 52:48
- Hologram Infinite Jets: 54:50 (55:40)
- …and Enzo: 58:20
- What have we learned? 1:03:02 Enjoy the episode!