Four great pedals – but what do we really want to know?
Welcome to the show! We’ve had a lot of artist shows just lately… and we love them. But it is called That Pedal Show after all, and there are many here among us who feel that life is but a… oh hang on… there are many here among us who miss a good old dig through some new stompers.
We have decided to focus our digging on one or two simple - hopefully obvious - questions that the official demo and review videos probably won’t ask. Now then, regular viewers will know that ‘focus’ isn’t exactly a key strength of That Pedal Show, so we’re easing ourselves in gently via the usual tangents and banter. What we eventually get around to asking is:
- Does the new Ross Distortion sound like an original old one from the late 1970s?
- Does the Thorpy The Dane MkII’s new boost actually sound like the Heavy Water?
- Does the Electro-Harmonix Nano Deluxe Memory Man sound anything like Dan’s original?
- And what is a Lo-Fi reverb anyway? Erm, using the Caroline Météore and UA Golden as our yardsticks.
Massive thanks to…
- Jonny Duffett for giving us the old Ross pedal.
- Gav Thorpe for the trade on the Marshall Bluesbreaker combo.
- Charlie Higginson of Riffers Brixham for the deal on the Johnny Jag!
• Sonic Research Turbo Tuner ST-200
• Ross Distortion [new]
UK & Europe: https://bit.ly/46rt8pA
• Original Ross Distortion
No longer available
• Thorpy The Dane MkII
UK & Europe: https://bit.ly/2wLUk32
• Thorpy Heavy Water
UK & Europe: https://bit.ly/3zXIi6N
• Electro-Harmonix Nano Deluxe Memory Man
UK & Europe: https://bit.ly/45g7pjo
• Original Electro-Harmonix Deluxe Memory Man
No longer available
• Caroline Guitar Company Météore
UK & Europe: https://bit.ly/3PDmZzT
• UA Golden Reverberator
UK & Europe: https://bit.ly/3uu6iuL
Interesting bits and go-to sections
0:00 Intro playing
0:33 What are we doing today?
1:10 Overwhelmed with pedals
2:23 Ross Distortion intro & background
4:23 Ooh, we have an original!
6:40 Today’s amps
7:19 New Ross Distortion sounds
11:59 New & Old Ross compared
16:27 Ross distortion cleanup?
18:50 Thorpy The Dane MkII intro
20:00 Thorpy question & sounds
27:52 Dane & Heavy Water boost compared
30:25 Boost before or after drive question
34:13 Boost before or after drive sounds
37:35 EHX Nano Deluxe Memory Man intro
39:45 The EHX question. And sounds…
43:58 Old & new Deluxe Memory Man compared
51:50 In the new Memory Man’s defence…
54:45 Caroline Météore intro & question?
57:05 A hi-fi reverb? UA Golden
1:00:40 Météore sounds
1:08:22 Closing thoughts