Life too short for long videos? See the ‘Interesting bits and go-to sections’ info below.
In this episode we take a gentle stroll through some of the issues you might face with two guitars in the band. This is an almost endless topic so we’re starting with the basic stuff.
We’ve all been there with volume struggles, tones not working together, poor definition of parts… and worse than all of that: not knowing what to do about it. So Dan and I talk through some ideas that may help, before indulging in some petit jammagé. Where the gremlins begin…
SORRY ABOUT THE DEAD CAMERAS
We had a whoopsie-daisy with cameras, losing media from two cards. Arrrrggggg!!!!
Before the cameras die, Mick’s guitar is panned slightly left; Dan’s slightly right.
During the jams Mick goes right and Dan left because that makes sense when you’re looking at our pedalboards. We didn't edit the jams so they are a bit meandering. Only one take, obviously. We left it all in as the sounds are interesting.
WHAT ABOUT THE BACKING TRACKS?
I used the Drummer in Logic to create grooves. Then called up the loop library in and dragged in bass parts. During the filming it was playing from my laptop over our PA, enabling Dan and I to jam over. I then simply put the tracks underneath the show audio, lined it up, and did a basic mix.
Enjoy the episode, we hope it helps spark some ideas and inspiration.
Interesting bits and go-to sections…
- Intro playing - now that’s a lot of modulation! 00:00
- What are doing today? 3:35
- Our pedalboards and amps: 6:56
- A funky choppy example: 8:25
- Unison guitar? 12:30
- Different chord voicing… and then a capo: 16:30
- Inversions and voicing without a capo: 22:40
- Back to unison for gain structure chat: 25:44
- EQ & frequency, fat and thin…: 33:28
- …and thin and fat: 38:00
- Introducing effects to rhythm tones: 41:00
- Movement with modulation in rhythm parts: 44:57
- Volume problems: 49:25
- Jamming over backing tracks: 53:19
• Fender Hot Rod Deluxe III with standard speaker - No longer made, link to latest version
UK & Europe: http://bit.ly/2KBwMWc
• Sovtek MIG-50 with Custom Bob Burt 1x12/Celestion Alnico Cream speaker
We hope you enjoy this episode. Please subscribe to our channel.