We discuss and demo the main flavours of octave fuzz guitar tones… and some other octaves too.
Life too short for long YouTube videos? Please see the ‘Interesting bits and go-to sections’ information below.
It had to happen eventually. Dan and I are both big fans of the octave fuzz sound, but it is a greatly varied thing and can be quite the challenge to add confidently to your rig.
With the help of a superb crop of modern pedals we howl and screech our way through the tones that might inspire you to give it a go. It’s aural honey for some of us, and worse than fingernails down the blackboard for many others.
It’s not only about Jimi… but boy is he a big part of this sound.
Interesting bits and go-to sections…
- Intro playing: 0:00
- What are we doing today?: 01:13
- Where can you hear octave fuzz?: 02:10
- Three different flavours?: 03:25
- Beetronics Octahive: 05:20
- Pedal Pawn Fuzz & Octahive: 11:48
- Z Vex Jonny Octave: 13:35
- Mythos Argo: 16:15
- Humbuckers?: 21:10
- Danelectro 3699 Fuzz: 22:18
- JHS Supreme: 27:25
- Octave down? Redbeard Honey Badger: 30:45
- What about the EHX POG? 36:00
- Your favourite?: 41:35
- All on?!: 44:59
Guitars in this episode:
• 1965 Fender Telecaster - no video yet
• PRS McCarty Soapbar - Mick’s video at https://bit.ly/30fmsdN
• Fender American Vintage ’62 Stratocaster – Mick’s video at http://bit.ly/2cQv3yT
• Gibson Custom True Historic ’57 Les Paul Goldtop, Murphy Aged