Life too short for long YouTube videos? Please see the ‘Interesting bits and go-to sections’ information below.
Dan and I are big fans of the wet-dry rig. That means using two amplifiers where one of them gets signal from ALL of your pedals including reverbs and delays (wet), while the other gets only the drives (dry). And maybe compression. And maybe modulation depending on how you like it.
It’s a very simple concept… until you get into the nuts and bolts of signal routing, signal splits, phase and isolation, whereupon the confusion can come along all too quickly.
So this video attempts to break all of that down and – with the help of a diagram or two - we hope to demystify things.
Once we’ve talked about wet-dry, we add a third amp for wet-dry-wet. All the principles are the same, so it shouldn’t be too much of a brain stretch. Finally you have a use for those unloved 'other' amps you have kicking around. Or a great excuse to buy one or two more. :0)
NOTE: There are some audio gremlins in this episode. The Two-Rock parts are dull sounding at times. We've been through it, checked the audio for obvious mistakes and found none... but something is awry. The main points of the video still stand and there are some amazing sounds elsewhere to make up for it!
More Wet/Dry examples - and no gremlins - coming next week!
Interesting bits and go-to sections…
- Intro playing: 0:00
- What are we doing today? 3:08
- What are the big questions? 4:45
- Today’s amps: 6:10
- What is wet-dry anyway? 7:10
- A normal rig and FX chain… 10:10
- …moving to wet-dry: 12:20
- Isolation and signal splitting: 13:30
- Marshall – the dry amp today: 14:45
- Marshall & Two-Rock together: 16:45
- Where is the signal split happening? 17:25
- Tremolo in both amps: 18:40
- Delay and reverb in only the wet amp: 19:10 (19:30)
- Choosing what goes wet and what goes dry? 21:31
- We need to talk about phase: 22:00
- In phase, out of phase: 24:24
- What about earth and isolation? 29:15
- Moving the modulation effects to the wet amp only: 31:30
- Trem to one amp and both amps, compared: 33:40
- Amps with different characters? 35:30
- Chorus and vibrato, wet only: 36:55
- …and with delay and tremolo: 38:30
- A dense band mix? 39:35
- But I don’t have a fancy-ass switcher – what about me?! 41:30
- Okay, time for wet-dry-wet: 42:45
- Three amps: 44:50
- How loud is that? 45:20
- Wet-dry-wet with tremolo… 47:00
- …with and without the dry amp: 47:40
- Stereo reverb and delay: 48:25 (50:33)
- Wet-dry-wet, delay, no dry amp: 52:08
- …and reverb: 52:57
- 100 per cent wet in the wet amp (kill dry): 56:00 (58:00)
- Higher and lower headroom amps? 1:01:00
- Higher and lower FX level in the wet amps: 1:05:50
- What have we learned? 1:13:10
- A really annoying point about phase: 1:15:52