Writing and recording at home, part 2. Here I'm getting my guitar gear sorted and changing recording applications… gulp!
Life too short for long YouTube videos? Please see the ‘Interesting bits and go-to sections’ information below.
Welcome to my vlog! This episode follows instalment #1 where I picked out the bones of a song and put down a bass and drums arrangement. Now I'm into thinking about guitar sounds and gear, arbitrarily selecting a bunch of stuff that will get me started.
I also make the decision to switch from Apple Logic to Universal Audio Luna as my main recording application, so I reflect a little bit on that too.
I run through three ideas for parts and sections and by the end of the video I think I'm about ready to start routining up some parts and get tracking seriously. That's all to come…
• Zoom H6 (what I use to record my voice and the audio for the vlog while the computer is recording music)
Interesting bits and go-to sections…
- Hello and intro: 0:00
- What we’re covering in this video: 1:14
- Pedals and amps I’m using today: 1:45
- Mesa/Boogie California Tweed and Two-Rock: 2:20
- Fulltone Tube Tape Echo: 3:00
- Cornerstone Gladio Double Preamp: 3:48
- Hudson Broadcast: 4:24
- Catalinbread Belle Epoch Deluxe: 5:40
- Mythos Argo: 6:06
- Supro Trem: 6:38
- Jam Ripply Fall: 7:35
- Collings 360LT: 9:30
- The first proper guitar take! 13:30
- Getting creative? The distorted reverse intro… 15:26
- Doing the takes: 17:30
- Drown it in reverb, and we’re done: 20:30
- First bit of tracking in UA Luna! 21:15
- Amps are too loud – time for Ox and silent recording: 23:10
- Mick’s first look at the Luna interface: 23:55
- Busses. Ocean Way Reverb, and analogue summing: 24:55
- Collings guitar part, amps and Ox: 27:00
- Actually tracking that part: 28:17 (yep, wrong pickup selected, doh!)
- A listen to the pedals through the Two-Rock, Ox, with the Strat: 29:37
- Closing thoughts and next episode… 32:20
- Couldn’t resist a scratch guitar solo. incurable guitar player: 34:15
Sorry about the hiss when I’m talking. It’s the fan on the blessed laptop.
We hope you enjoy this episode. Please subscribe to our channel.