Life too short for long YouTube videos? Please see the ‘Interesting bits and go-to sections’ information below.
In this video Dan is taking a stroll down flanger boulevard. He has two favourite pedals in the world: one is his original Boss CE-1 Chorus; the other is his 1977 Electro-Harmonix Electric Mistress. But the ol’ girl is getting too precious and delicate to schlep to gigs, meaning he’s had to search for a younger model. Many a pretty pretender has come and gone but nothing has really stood up to his original Mistress in terms of sound or feel.
However, just when he thought it was never going to happen, he stumbled on a pedal that he thinks does the job. He’s already started using it, but just to make sure, we thought we’d put it up against the contenders to date and get a listen.
So why aren’t there more flangers in this video? According to Dan, the Electric Mistress is a very specific thing; quite different from the likes of the Boss BF-2, for example. Yes, there are myriad flangers available from almost every brand, but these are the ones he chose; these are they on which we shall verily chew.
Interesting bits and go-to sections…
- Intro playing: 00:00
- Dan loves the Mistress… but the time has come: 1:16
- Today’s amps: 3:05
- What the flip is clock noise? 3:36 & 6:05
- Hang on, Gilmour and Summers? 4:38
- What do the ‘range’ and ‘color’ do? 8:39
- What does the switch do? 12:11
- Flanger or phaser – eh? 14:08
- Mooer Elec Lady: 17:35
- Hartman Analog Flanger: 19:00
- JEM! 21:24
- Longamp Roxanne: 23:50
- The IKEA tangent: 27:30
- But the knobs don’t start from O! 3-:40
- Duesenberg Julia guitar: 36:07
- Finally some clean sounds! 37:00
- Let’s boost the Mistress output: 40:30
- Flanger before or after overdrive? 43:52 (45:30)
- How does it differ from something like a Boss BF-2? (49:22)
- All on?!? 51:40
Amps in this episode
• Marshall 1987x head with 1960A cabinet and Celestion G12M Greenback speakers
• Fender Super Reverb with Jensen P10R speakers
We hope you enjoy this video. Please subscribe to our channel.