20 boost, overdrive and distortion stages on one pedalboard?! How to stack them, and what is gain stacking anyway?
Life too short for long YouTube videos? Please see the ‘Interesting bits and go-to sections’ information below.
Welcome to the show! This is perhaps the topic about which we are asked more than any other. Boiled down, what overdrives should I use and in what order should I stack them? It’s called gain stacking, and whether you use zero overdrives or tons of ‘em, it is of fundamental importance to every electric guitar sound you’ve ever heard. (Your amp is gain stacking internally too, just for the record.)
Thusly, with the help of a forklift pallet, 19 overdrive pedals, TheGigRig G3 and modest selection of electronicalized guitarbles, we shall investigify these questations and more.
And yes, the non-inclusion of a Boss Metal Zone is a heinous act from which we may never recover. Shame. On. Us.
Interesting bits and go-to sections…
0:00 Intro playing
2:50 What are we doing today?
4:30 Why have many overdrives?
5:43 Today’s amps
6:30 Boost, OD, distortion & fuzz explanation
7:30 Boost, OD, distortion & fuzz sounds
11:15 The best order for boost and overdrive?
17:15 Your OD can be a boost or an overdrive
24:00 10+ overdrive stages with an Epiphone Casino?
29:10 10+ overdrive stages with a Telecaster
34:05 Stacking three low-gain stages for dynamic and feel
39:55 Let’s talk about EQ and mid humps
43:38 Mid range tones - Van Weelden
46:00 Tube Screamers mid hump
50:45 What do we mean by mid?
52:10 And feedback?
57:20 How many is too many?
59:30 All on. Of course…
Guitars in this episode:
• Gibson True Historic 1957 Les Paul Goldtop Tom Murphy Aged - no video yet
• 1965 Fender Telecaster - no video yet
• Epiphone Casino - Mick’s video at https://youtu.be/ubwr6Owqp_E
• Fender American Vintage ’62 Stratocaster – Mick’s vid at: https://youtu.be/5sQUvWHXz74
• Karl Longbottom T-Style - find Karl on Instagram
Amps in this episode
• 1973 Hiwatt DR103 Custom 100 with unknown 412 & speakers
• Marshall 1987x and 1960Ax 412 / Celestion G12M Greenback speakers
We hope you enjoy this episode. Please subscribe to our channel.