Life too short for long YouTube videos? Please see the ‘Interesting bits and go-to sections’ information below.
In this episode we delve into world of the not-so humble treble booster. If you’re already a fan, you’ll know that they’re somewhat unfortunately named because to most of us, well, boosting treble isn’t exactly a priority with the majority of modern amps.
However, just as ‘Global Warming’ should actually have been called ‘Crap Weather And Periodic Regional Devastation’, so the dear treble booster might have been better named, ‘Make Your Pushed Amp Or Overdrive Pedal Sound Properly Bloomin' Rock’N’Roll’. Hmmmm. Might not have fitted on the screen print.
Nevertheless, whatever they’re called, they’re still largely misunderstood so here we do our best to offer some insight into how you may benefit from using one. Anybody who’s struggling along the road to getting just the right kind of ‘more’ from their already overdriven amp, listen up – this video’s streets are paved in golden knowledge and inspiration for you. Maybe.
It’s pretty nice with a Strat into a Plexi too. Mmmmm.
Interesting bits and go-to sections…
- Intro playing and background: 00:00
- A bit of (admittedly shaky) treble booster context and history: 1:32
- They are unfortunately named, right? 4:40
- DWJ Treble Booster sounds and discussion: 5:36 (8:53)
- Today’s amps: 6:48
- Mick’s always been scared of treble boosters: 11:04
- Analog Man Beano Boost sounds and discussion: 12:20
- …and a Sun Face: 13:35
- Keeley Java Boost sounds and discussion: 18:28
- How about a little internal fridge for germanium transistors then? 20:57
- Plosive May Booster sounds and discussion: 26:10 (28:09)
- Plosive and Java Boost Compared: 30:40
- Bigfoot Trouble Booster Uno: 32:48
- But what about using a cleaner amp and other OD pedal? 38:40
- Beano Booster into a cleaner amp – brace yourself: 40:34
- And now with an OD pedal (Kingsley Page Boost) after the treble booster: 41:40
- Java Boost - Page - Marshall and Vox. As good as it gets: 43:50
Amps in this episode
• Marshall 1987x with 2061x 2x12 cabinet with Celestion G12H Anniversary speakers
• Vox AC15C1 with Celestion Greenback speaker