Mick loves Strats, Dan loves Teles: will this video help you decide on a favourite?
Life too short for long YouTube videos? You can find timings for interesting bits and go-to sections below.
A very warm welcome to the show, and thank you for being here. Regular viewers will know that Daniel is a confirmed Fender Telecaster devotee, while I (Mick here) have given most of my playing life to the Fender Stratocaster.
In this video we thought we'd have a bit of fun and fire off five reasons each, explaining our connection with these all-time classics. Of course anyone out there who already has a favourite won't be swayed by this video – and nor should you be! Moreover we hope it will do three things.
First, it may help those of you who are perhaps less au-fait with Strats and Teles, to understand some of their key charms, if you're thinking of taking the plunge.
Second, for anybody struggling to bond with either, this video might give you some ideas or even a better question or two to ask, in order to help you enjoy your guitar more.
Thirdly and lastly, if you are already a confirmed Strat or Tele, hopefully there will be something here for you to try, or maybe even convince you that having both is really the only sensible way forward.
We filmed this just before England's second Covid lockdown kicked in. As such Simon wasn't around and Mick decided a 25mm lens on a full-frame camera was a good idea. So, a) sorry you can't see the dB meter and, b) we promise never to go this wide again. Some alarming angles for sure. Ahem.
Interesting bits and go-to sections:
- Intro sillness: 00:00
- What are we doing today? 02:00
- How Simple This Thing Is: 03:22
- It's Got A Wobble Bar Ferchrissakes: 06:25
- Nothing Rocks Like A Tele Bridge Pickup: 09:05
- Positions Two & Four: 12:07
- The Tele Neck Pickup: 17:30
- Strats Can Rock: 22:19
- Country Guitar: 25:38
- E Flat: 29:03
- One Guitar No Compromise: 35:00
- Fuzzes Were Made For Strats: 40:15
Guitars in this episode:
• Fender John Mayer Stratocaster - no video yet
• Fender American Vintage ’62 Stratocaster (2001) – Mick’s video at http://bit.ly/2cQv3yT
• 1961 Fender Stratocaster - no video yet
• Fender American Vintage ’59 Stratocaster (2012) – no video yet
• 1965 Fender Telecaster - no video yet
• Fender Custom Shop 1963 Telecaster (2002) - Dan’s video at http://bit.ly/2dlZJ6K
• Fender Custom Shop ’52 Telecaster (2017, ish) – Dan’s video at http://bit.ly/2Hlpy5Y
Amps in this episode
• Two Rock Classic Reverb Signature with Two-Rock 212 cabinet / TR 1265B speakers
• Matchless HC-30 with Matchless ESD 212 cabinet / Celestion G12M Greenback & G12H Anniversary speakers
We hope you enjoy this episode. Please subscribe to our channel.