Life too short for long YouTube videos? Please see the ‘Interesting bits and go-to sections’ information below.
In this video we explore some basic guitar amp mic'ing positions in and around the That Pedal Show studio. We’re doing it because we’ve had some comments recently that the sound from an iPhone in the room is ‘better’ than a carefully considered traditional mic’ing approach. Beauty is always in the eye of the beholder, so to speak – indeed the ear of the listener in this case - so we thought we’d do the comparisons and listen to the results.
No we didn’t mic the back of the amps. No we didn’t compare with any IRs. No we didn’t do every conceivable position pairing in the whole world ever and no we probably didn’t use your favourite microphone. What we did was give you a general overview on position and environment that you can adapt and use to inspire your own experiments with amp mic'ing.
What we also did use was a trio of mics from Sontronics: a Delta 2 ribbon (now the TPS core guitar amp mic); Halo dynamic and Orpheus Omni alongside our usual AKG C414 XLii mid-side room pair. All annotations are on screen as appropriate.
Intro playing: 0:00
- What are we doing today and why? 1:30
- What are we listening to? 2:00
- Close mic’ing? 2:46
- Why don’t you use an SM57? 4:25
- Pickup patterns: 6:00
- Let’s play a loop and explain what we’re going to do: 7:34
- Mic comparisons begin. Finally: 10:28
- …And an iPhone? 11:39
- And again with a different sound: 13:40
- …and a bit of Dan and Mick jamming: 14:56
- What is the iPhone mic doing? 18:15
- iPhone Mic volume roll-on test: 19:10
- Same thing with the room omni: 19:50
- And a backing track for context? 20:39 (21:10)
- What about different rooms? 22:44
- Bathroom sound, omni and dynamic: 24:58
- Same thing in the office: 27:40
- Dan in the office, bathroom and studio: 29:15
- Mic comparisons with the backing tracks: 30:50
Guitars in this episode:
• Fender Classic Series Jazzmaster Lacquer
• Fender Custom Shop Heavy Relic ’52 Telecaster
Amps in this episode
• Vox AC15 C1 with Celestion Greenback speaker
We hope you enjoy this episode. Please subscribe to our channel.