Life too short for long YouTube videos? See the ’Interesting bits and go-to sections’ timings below.
In this video we welcome perhaps the most anticipated pedal of 2019: the Strymon Volante. Strymon of course has enjoyed phenomenal success with its delay pedals to date, particularly the genre-defining TimeLine and much-loved El Capistan.
The Volante adds a whole new voice to Strymon’s echo choir, namely the vintage, multi-head drum echo sound made famous by the Binson Echorec. It also does multi-head tape and studio tape delays too. Matters arising…
• Does it sound like those old units? We have a couple for a quick comparison.
• What about the best of the modern, pedal format versions of those effects? We pick two for comparison.
• Should I replace my TimeLine or El Capistan?
• And what else does it do?
Please note: There have been many, many different kinds of tape and drum echoes over the years, and they pretty much all sound different, not least with the passage of time / different states of repair etc etc etc. With that in mind, we picked two such beasts that we had at our disposal, so please don’t be posting comments moaning about why we didn’t compare it with this, that or the other. Please.
Interesting bits and go-to sections…
- Epic Dan intro playing: 0:00
- What are we doing today? 3:51
- The Echorec Baby: 5:00
- What are today’s big questions? 5:35
- What does the Volante do? 10:00
- Today’s amps – hello Mesa Fillmore! 12:50
- Echorec Baby (and Volante): 15:15 (15:30
- Echorec comparison to the Volante: (19:37)
- Echorec mechanical sound: 24:30
- Roland RE-201 Space Echo: 25:00 (25:39)
- …comparison to the Volante: 29:22
- So does it sound the same as the old stuff? 35:50
- Dawner Prince Boonar: 37:55
- Swell/repeats on the Boonar: 40:00
- Boonar age of drum: 41:03
- Boonar and Volante comparison: 42:20
- Volante head spacing: 46:40
- Belle Epoch Deluxe and Volante comparison: : 50:18
- What about the TimeLine or El Capistan? 57:45
- Reverb in the Volante: 1:00:10
- Stereo in the Volante: 1:02:50 (1:03:25)
- Sound on sound looping, reverse and ramp: 1:06:30
- What do we think then? 1:11:00