Confused about where to start with guitar fuzz pedals? We talk through the four cornerstones of fuzz tones to help focus the search
Life too short for long YouTube videos? Please see the ‘Interesting bits and go-to sections’ information below.
Welcome to the show! In this episode Dan and I are discussing and demonstrating the four cornerstones of classic fuzz tones. There is understandably a great deal of confusion around the whole topic of fuzz. With so many pedals on the market, how do you even begin to choose those that might suit you best?
One way we’d suggest is to consider what many regard as the four cornerstones of classic fuzz tones: The Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face, the Univox Super Fuzz (octave fuzz) the Sola Sound Tone Bender and The Electro Harmonix Big Muff. Sure there are others, but most of them are direct descendants and/or heavily inspired by one of these classic pedals, or indeed a combination of them.
Conveniently, JHS Pedals of Kansas City has just released four new versions of the classic schools, which gives us the opportunity to play them compare them with our favourite other pedals in each school.
By the end of the video we hope the tones you hear enable you to narrow your sights a little bit in the search for your fuzz endeavours.
Enjoy the episode!
COVID-19: No doubt many of you will be concerned for our safety and wellbeing, and post helpful comments about our measures surrounding social distancing. We’ve done a risk assessment in accordance with the latest government directives and implemented the suggested working guidelines. We’re aware that the plexi screen is only partially effective so please excuse if we don’t get into this topic in the comments section.
Interesting bits and go-to sections…
- Intro playing Mick schwang: 00:00
- We’re back! 02:23
- Dan schwang: 03:00
- How is volume then? 05:40
- What are we doing today and why? 07:12
- Three… hang on, four schools of fuzz: 07:45
- The four JHS fuzzes: 08:40
- The problem of consistency: 09:07
- Our favourite versions of the four: 09:50
- What we hope you’ll glean from this video: 12:45
- Consistency, value and Taylor Swift: 13:55
- JHS Smiley: 15:47
- Dunlop Hendrix Fuzz Face: 16:33
- Thoughts on the Smiley and Fuzz Face: 17:50
- Smiley JHS mode: 19:32
- Humbuckers and the Fuzz Faces: 20:39
- Shaftesbury Duo Fuzz: 23:19
- JHS Supreme sounds: 27:55
- Tone Benders: 31:00
- JHS Bender sounds: 32:17
- Does it clean up? 34:35
- Mick’s headstock ding tangent: 36:05
- Pigdog JuJu Fuzz: 37:50
- No Germanium? 39:07
- Thoughts on feel: 40:07
- Muffs & the Crimson: 41:48
- JHS Crimson sounds: 43:24
- Way Huge Russian Pickle: 46:28
- JHS mode in the Supreme: 50:08
- Closing thoughts: 51:50
- Which ones would you choose? 54:38