We visit Lee Malia of Bring Me The Horizon to talk about his guitar sounds and gear at the band’s HQ.
Life too short for long YouTube videos? See ‘Interesting bits and go-to sections’ info below.
Welcome! In this episode, Dan and I load the TPS charabanc and head north to visit Lee Malia of Bring Me The Horizon. In case you’re not aware, BMTH are a phenomenally successful band who formed in 2004, having released six principle studio albums and won a slew of awards along the way. As we write this they are both Brit and Grammy nominated for 2020.
During the interview we get an insight into Lee’s world of huge production for giant stages and how that determines the gear and tone choices for his rig. We also get a look at Lee’s signature Epiphone guitars.
Massive thanks to Lee for making the time for us, and also to Joey for the tech support and help. What an awesome day!
Enjoy the episode!
Interesting bits and go-to sections…
- Intro playing: 00:00
- Hello! 1:35
- How did Lee start playing? 2:20
- Early heavy tones for Lee: 6:21
- Loud Marshalls and mic’d cabs: 8:45
- “I used to use more gain…” 11:18
- Les Paul, Klon-type drive, Marshall JCM800: 12:45 (13:55)
- Heaviness & gain: 14:25
- Wouldn’t it just be easier to get a Helix or Kemper? 20:00
- What the Kemper is used for: 21:35
- Lee’s main amps: 23:10 (25:00)
- The BMTH show and live switching: 27:50
- 0.080 E string: 29:45
- Heavy strings and the right hand: 32:05
- How do you keep it in tune? 34:25
- Extended scale guitars? 35:00
- How Lee holds his pick: 36:00
- A bit of playing: 39:10
- Lee’s key effects… delay and reverb: 41:00
- …EHX Cathederal Reverb: 45:03
- …POG, fuzz, JCM800 and Kemper: 46:10
- …EHX Synth 9: 47:20
- …EHX Soul Food: 48:20
- Working Mens’ Clubs? 52:15
- Lee Malia Signature Epi Les Paul: 55:18
- Gibson Les Paul Artisan: 56:55
- Signature Explorer: 58:20
- The hair clip? 59:35
- Dummy coil for the P90: 1:01:25
- Active pickups? 1:02:45
- EHX Pitch Fork: 1:06:05
- A Strat? 1:07:35
- Free The Tone EQ: 1:10:20
- Grestch? 1:13:40