We compare an original Roland RE-201 Space Echo with the RE-20 pedal, Strymon Volante and EchoFix EF-X2.
Life too short for long YouTube videos? Please see the ‘Interesting bits and go-to sections’ information below.
Welcome to the episode. A little while back, Dan and I did a video on single-head tape delays based on our love of the Echoplex sound. You can watch it here: https://youtu.be/iDdK8QMcF2I
Now it’s the turn of the multi-head tape machine, specifically the classic Roland RE-201 Space Echo that debuted all the way back in 1974. We have some simple questions…
How much does the old, analogue RE-201 sound like the ‘new’ RE-20 digital pedal?
What about the EchoFix and the Strymon Volante?
Can Dan put together a Heath-Robinson pedalboard that simulates what a multi-head tape delay does?
Let’s do this – enjoy the episode!
Interesting bits and go-to sections…
- Intro playing: 00:00
- What are we doing today?: 03:22
- Simple demo of multi-head: 06:10
- RE-20 and RE-201 comparison: 12:35
- What about modulation?: 21:35
- EchoFix EF-X2: 24:15
- Strymon Volante: 27:15
- Stereo panning Volante: 29:26
- What’s in a multi-head delay?: 38:18
- Dan’s Build-A-Board multi-head delay explanation: 40:45
- Closing thoughts and conclusions: 53:45
- Dan plays us out: 56:30
Guitars in this episode:
• 1965 Fender Telecaster - no video yet
• 1961 Fender Stratocaster - no video yet
• Fender American Vintage ’62 Stratocaster – Mick’s video at http://bit.ly/2cQv3yT
Amps in this episode
• Matchless HC-30 with Matchless ESD 212 Celestion G12M Greenback speaker and Celestion G12H Anniversary speakers
• Two Rock Classic Reverb Signature with Two-Rock 212 cabinet / TR 1265B speakers
We hope you enjoy this episode. Please subscribe to our channel.