Life too short for long YouTube videos? Please see the ‘Interesting bits and go-to sections’ information below.
In this episode we take our first long look at – and listen to – the new-for-2019 Boss Waza Tube Amp Expander, next to the already established Universal Audio OX Amp Top Box.
Both are designed to offer much increased functionality and low-volume usability/direct recording potential for your existing valve amplifier. As we discuss, however, while they’re ostensibly pitched head-to-head there are nonetheless some significant differences that may make your decision much easier, should you be in the market for such a beast.
No, it’s not a straight A/B comparison using exactly the same amps and guitars – as we said they do different things – it’s more of a general overview of their main functions and features and associated tagentalities and observationalisations.
We start by hearing the straight attenuation capabilities before heading for the direct sounds. Both are extremely capable units that have both live and studio in mind.
Interesting bits and go-to sections…
- Intro playing: 0:00
- What are we looking at today?: 02:00
- Background: Dan and I went to Boss..: 02:29
- The UAD OX: 03:03
- Is this an AB test: what are the main questions? 03:38
- The place to begin!: 04:02
- What amps are we using today?: 05:04
- The Matchless without any Tube Amp Expander or Ox: 06:22
- Likewise the Marshall: 08:01
- Explaining how we’re going to do the loop comparison: 10:50
- TC Looper on the floor: 11:50
- Switching in the OX and TAE for the first time: 12:04
- What did we notice just plugging them in? 14:06
- The Ox is an attenuator… The TAE is an attenuator and reamper: 14:57
- Some guff about attenuation, impedance and resonant peaks: 16:40
- Points of difference!: 18:02
- Attenuating with the TAE - mic’d Matchless cab :20:58
- First reactions of TAE and Matchless: 22:52
- Loud… and then quiet: 24:15
- What did we just hear?: 25:04
- Attenuating with the OX and Marshall: 27:34
- A brief conclusion on the differences in attenuation: 30:15
- What about effects in the TAE? 32:43
- We’re in headphone land: 34:24
- Direct sounds and interface in the Tube Amp Expander: 34:45
- And some different cab sounds in the TAE: 36:45
- Effects in the TAE: 38:31 (38:55)
- A listen to the direct sounds from the OX and the Marshall: 40:40
- Messing with virtual mic mixes in the OX software: 41:20
- A different cab in the OX. 42:45
- Outboard effects in OX: 43:38
- …And some Echorec and treble boost in the front: 47:00
- General thoughts and conclusions on the direct sounds: 48:50
- Are you choosing – which one should you get?: 50:07
Guitars in this episode:
• Fender Custom Shop 1963 Telecaster - Dan’s video at http://bit.ly/2dlZJ6K
• Fender AmericanVintage ’62 Stratocaster – Mick’s video at http://bit.ly/2cQv3yT
• Gibson Memphis 1958 ES-335 - no video yet
Amps in this episode
• Marshall 1987x with 1960AX cab / Celestion G12M Greenback speakers
• Matchless HC-30 with Hughes & Kettner Vintage 212 / Celestion G12M Greenback
We hope you enjoy this episode. Please subscribe to our channel.