Life too short for long YouTube videos? See the ‘Interesting bits and go-to sections’ information below.
In this video we indulge in TWO vintage Hiwatt DR103 heads (1972 and 1973). We begin by hearing them in a wet/dry configuration including an original Binson Echorec Baby, before moving on to (slightly) more real-world volumes using two different types of attenuator.
Hiwatt 1 is demoed using the Fryette Power Station (V1), Dan’s favourite attenuator. (Timings listed below.)
Hiwatt 2 is demoed with the Universal Audio OX Amp Top Box, a reactive load attenuator that includes speaker and mic modelling. You can hear both the real mic’d cab and virtual mics. Obviously, we include a selection of nice pedals along the way.
A note on volume. The Hiwatt DR103 is ludicrously loud, so to have two of them going at once is borderline barking mad, not to mention dangerous. We don’t get into cranking them unattenuated.
It might be confusing when Dan and I are sat there remarking how crazy loud it is… when your experience via the YouTube video is that everything is a similar volume. We explain that in the video, in terms of adjusting the mic input gains accordingly: loud amps, less mic gain. Quiet amps, more mic gain. If we left the mic gains low, the quieter, attenuated amps would sound thin and rubbish (because they're quiet in your speakers/headphones).
The point is that the physical experience in the room differs from what ends up being recorded - such an important topic when listening to gear demos online. We should never forget it!
Enjoy the video…
Interesting bits and go-to sections…
- Intro playing: 00:00
- Old sheeeat! And welcome… 1:35
- What are we doing? 3:00
- Questions from our last Hiwatt video: 4:20
- This is not the real world: 4:50
- Macaris, PowerBoosts etc: 7:00
- Discussing dynamics: 8:00
- Two Hiwatts?! 9:00 (10:30)
- Boss DC-2w Dimension C, wet/dry: 11:20
- … and Fulltone Vibe and Neo Mini Vent II afterwards
- Klon Centaur: 17:20 (18:35)
- Analog Man BC183 Sun Face Fuzz: 20:47
- Fulltone OctaFuzz: 22:09
- …and Deja Vibe: 23:50
- Fuzz into a high-headroom amp? 25:18
- …unusable: 27:20
- On to attenuators: 29:00
- Mick’s moan! 29:35
- How have we got all this connected? 30:34
- The OX iPad interface: 31:50
- Both amps before attenuation: 33:10
- What about phase? 33:50
- Hiwatt 1 & Fryette Power Station: 34:20
- How loud before and after? 36:45
- Tru-Fi Colordriver, Hiwatt, Fryette: 38:27 (39:34)
- …Klon: 39:52
- …Sun Face: 40:10
- …Octafuzz: 41:20
- Attenuation sweet spot? 41:50-42:20
- Hiwatt 2 and UA OX: 44:50 (45:37)
- OX Attenuation at 3 and 4… 47:00
- OX mid’d and virtual comparison: 49:30 (50:08)
- Two Hiwatts! One mic’s, one OX’d: 52:25
- Macmull S-Classic – Mick has schwang: 52:50
- Gibson Custom 1958 Les Paul Standard: Dan has schwang: 58:27
- Hearing? 1:00:40