Can the Automatone replace some of the best overdrive pedals of all time? We find out…
Life too short for long YouTube videos? Please see the ‘Interesting bits and go-to sections’ information below.
Welcome to the show. In this episode, Dan and I are putting the genre-defining Chase Bliss Automatone Preamp MkII up against a handful of our favourite ever overdrive, fuzz and boost pedals. We’ve never found a do-it-all overdrive yet that even comes close to actually doing it all, but by golly, Chase Bliss and Benson have done something extraordinary with the Automatone MkII.
Does it nail every sound exactly? Nope. Does it come close enough for you to be asking serious questions about all those drives on your board? Well, maybe…
Mick, how do you have your KOT configured?
Completely standard. It’s not the high-gain version, red side set to overdrive, yellow side set to boost, no extra treble on the internal trim pot.
What is that Les Paul?!
Gibson Custom True Historic ’57 Les Paul Goldtop, Tom Murphy aged. It belongs to my good friend Neville Marten, who has kindly loaned it to me for a while.
- Intro playing: 00:00
- What are we doing today: 01:44
- OD pedal royalty: 03:00
- Treble booster intro: 03:52
- Treble booster tones: 05:12
- Treble booster / Automatone comparison: 7:48
- Treble booster clean up: 13:38
- King Of Tone intro: 15:00
- King Of Tone sounds: 17:11
- King Of Tone / Automatone comparison: 18:24
- Tube Screamer intro: 25:09
- Tube Screamer / Automatone comparison: 28:18
- Klon intro: 33:15
- Klon sounds: 35:18
- Klon / Automatone comparison: 37:00
- Fuzz Face intro: 43:49
- Fuzz Face sounds: 45:36
- Fuzz Face / Automatone comparison: 46:25
Guitars in this episode:
• 1965 Fender Telecaster - no video yet
• Fender American Vintage ’62 Stratocaster – Mick’s video at http://bit.ly/2cQv3yT
• Gibson Custom True Historic ’57 Les Paul Goldtop, Murphy Aged
Amps in this episode
• Matchless HC-30 with Matchless ESD 212 cabinet / Celestion G12M Greenback &
• Two Rock Classic Reverb Signature with Two-Rock 212 cabinet / TR 1265B speakers
We hope you enjoy this episode. Please subscribe to our channel.